Where creative writing and general rambling go hand in hand :)

Thursday, 5 January 2012

When I grow up !

When I was younger I went through several different options of what I wanted to 'be' when I grew up.
My first choice was to be a teacher, I was dead set on this idea and nothing was going to change my mind, for a few years nothing did.
I changed my mind when my sister was in hospital, it was then that I decided I wanted to be a nurse, she was in a children's ward and all of the staff were so friendly I decided I wanted in. I also justified this decision with the fact that a lot of nurses were big and bubbly and therefore so could I be, this ideal was ruined of course when I visited the following day and all the nurses were slim Jim's :). I stuck with this plan all through secondary school and began 6th form studying a GNVQ in Health and social care which I failed to complete. I loved what I was learning and the course enabled us to have a wonderful week spent in The Gambia, however I fell behind due to various reasons, I repeated a year but felt my heart wasn't in it so I left and began working full time in a bingo hall.
I never saw this as permanent, I don't know anyone who thinks 'when I grow up I want to call bingo'. I loved this job though and stayed with the company for just over 4 years, I also returned for another year after flitting between various retail jobs (most of which never lasted longer than 12 months).
When I moved into my flat I was working in a betting shop, previously I worked in a pet shop, a ladies clothes shop, a motorway service station, a factory and some agency jobs including a whole day as a chambermaid (never again). All of these jobs were temporary in my eyes until I found what I really wanted to do, I get bored easily and always wanted to move on to the next job hoping it would be better. In Nov 2006 I started work at my current job working in a supermarket part time and in the following March I began full time, this means I have now been there for over 5 years (officially the longest time I have been employed by one company).
This is not what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Throughout the teacher and nurse choices I have always known I wanted to be a writer, though this choice flits between writing for children, writing chick lit, magazines, radio etc. My ultimate dream would be to have a novel published (let me have my dream, everyone starts somewhere) and this is what started my decision to study with The Open University.
So I combined wanting to do the Creative Writing courses with my lack of qualifications higher than G.C.S.E's and signed up for a degree, this way if I'm not a rich and famous published author (dreams are good for you) by the time I graduate then at least I have the option to work towards my first choice of career as a teacher.
I may well change my mind again before that, after all it's a woman's prerogative :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, Sharleene. :) When I was a little girl I wanted to be a singer, then I discovered writing when I was ten (my first stories were Famous Five fanfiction!) I wrote very pretentious, awful poetry as a teenager...then somehow spent about fifteen years working variously as a shop assistant, waitress, chambermaid, care assistant, admin assistant. From ages 15 - 32 I had approx. 50 different jobs, the shortest was 4 hours, the longest 14 months.

    Somehow I think we can just fall into things and it takes a while to have *that* moment when you realise if you continue on the path you're on life will never change.

    My dream is of writing and living quietly with chickens and a beautiful garden and to spend time with like-minded people. I know writing may not provide a large income but with a good degree doors that were previously closed will be open so I don't mind if I'm doing something else, too that might not be in my dream, just so long as I'm always working towards it :)

    Helena xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I grow up I'm going to be older than I am now. I too have yet to decide and stick to anything as a career. I famously went on maternity leave 22 years ago and forgot to go back.
    Live the dream.. you never know what you can do until you try.
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete