Where creative writing and general rambling go hand in hand :)

Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Oh for the love of books!

I love reading, have done for as long as I can remember.
Books are amazing, they teach you things; new words that you didn't know, a snippet of history, maybe even give you a trip down memory lane. Your own imagination brings the story out of the book the way you see it, coupled with the brilliant imagination of the author and you can lose yourself in a whole different world. You fall in love with characters, hate others, cry for them, laugh with them and if it's a really good book you get to the end and really wish you knew what happened next.
I get sad when I see an unread book in a charity shop, which is why there are quite a few on my bookshelves because I can't leave them behind.
Since I finished studying I have really struggled with reading, perhaps having the option to choose any book for the first time in a few years was too overwhelming. Whatever the reason though, I had several books around my home that I had started and just couldn't get in to, different genres so I wasn't limiting myself. I didn't want to force myself through a book and was quite disappointed to not be getting anywhere, at least 6 months have passed since I finished a book which for me is unheard of. I usually get through 2 or 3 on my holiday and with that coming up I knew I needed to get reading again.
Maybe I'm back in the right frame of mind now because I have successfully finished a book within a few days. It was by no means a hard going book, very enjoyable to read in fact. It felt great to get to the point where you can't put it down and even better to get to the end. It may not seem like that big a deal but to me it was. Happy to report that I'm now half way through a second book too, definitely back in the zone and it feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment